Dehydrated Organic Sourdough Starter (Dry but Alive!)
- Bring home a healthy, established, organic dry sourdough starter from the Central Coast of California, and bake your own sourdough at home!
- The starter is dehydrated, but very much alive – full of beneficial lactic acid bacteria and wild yeast.
- All the dry starter needs is a little water, flour, and 5 days to get reactivated.
- In less than a week, one scoop of powder (one package) will turn into more than a liter of bubbling active sourdough starter that can last you a lifetime!
- See more product details, reactivation directions, and shipping information below.
- Our website only accepts PayPal for payment. However, if you prefer to use Venmo, please contact me at Deanna@homesteadandchill.com and we’ll make it happen!
- Sorry, we can only ship within the US only for now!
Only 10 left in stock
Want to bake fresh sourdough at home, but don’t have a starter? Bring home a portion of our healthy established organic sourdough starter culture to create your own! She hails from the Central Coast of California ~ just a few hours south of San Francisco. Our starter was created from scratch about 4 years ago using wild yeast cultivated from local organic apples.
Free shipping included. Orders and shipping accepted within the US only.
Allergy warning: This product contains gluten.
What is dehydrated sourdough starter?
With this order, you will receive a packet of dried living organic sourdough starter (1/2 heaping tablespoon, or 7-8 grams) – enough to create an active, bubbly sourdough starter within one week of re-activation. We feed our sourdough starter 100% certified organic ingredients (organic bread flour, organic whole wheat flour, and/or organic all-purpose flour) and filtered water. The starter is dehydrated on a “living foods” (low heat) setting, effectively preserving the beneficial lactic acid bacteria and wild yeast within the starter. It is very much alive – it simply needs to be rehydrated and reactivated!
Once you reactivate your starter, you will have a lifelong supply of sourdough starter culture to use in any delicious homemade sourdough recipe – including rustic sourdough bread, fluffy focaccia, pizza crust, crackers, cornbread, and more!
Once you receive the dry starter:
– You can either reactivate it right away, or choose to wait. It will stay viable in powder form for approximately 6 months as long as it is stored in cool, dry, dark location (such as in an air-tight container in the refrigerator).
– The process of reactivating the dry starter takes about one week (with quick steps each day) and is very easy to do! See the full instructions to reactivate your dry sourdough starter by clicking here.
– To reactivate the dry starter, you will need a medium size glass container (e.g. a pint mason jar), all-purpose flour or bread flour, and filtered water.
Payment: Our website only accepts PayPal for payment. However, if you prefer to use Venmo, please contact me at Deanna@homesteadandchill.com and we’ll make it happen!
Shipping: Free shipping via USPS First Class mail. We are currently shipping within the United States only.
Timing: At this time, we ship sourdough starter orders once per week (typically on Fridays), and then usual USPS first class shipping times apply thereafter (averaging 2-5 days).
Return policy: We can’t provide returns/refunds for change of heart, or user error in re-activating the starter. However, if your order arrives damaged or with apparent issues, please let us know (take a photo) and we will make it right!